Neuro- Linguistic Programming
What is Neuro Linguistic Programming?
The Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) describes a collection of methods and techniques that allow a more effective communication with yourself, your subconscious mind and others.
Here, NLP uses the interaction between the brain (neuro), language (lingua), as well as beliefs and behavior patterns that are "programmed or hardcoded" in us - regardless of their actual usefulness to our lives today.
NLP was founded and coined in 1975 by John Grinder and Richard Bandler following their observations of the communication and behavioral patterns of the most renowned and successful therapists such as. Such the hypnotherapist Milton Erikson, the Gestalt therapist Fritz Perls, the family therapist Virginia Satir.
As "works" NLP ?
The neuro- linguistic programming (NLP) is based on the knowledge that each person experiences the world differently. This internal processes and perceptions appear to be largely congruent, which is also expressed in the individual's choice of a system of representations . While one person preferres images, others use a different expression of feelings (sound, smell, etc).
Therefore, the determination of the individual’s dominant representational system is observed with a detailed survey of the client’s patterns.. Also, it allows the consultant an adequate adaptation to the system of representation of the client, which is an important step for the success of therapy..
What you also should know about NLP
We observe the world with our five senses . That means our brain perceives through the five senses information from the environment and transforms them into images, sounds, sensations, smells and tastes. Only then, the senses will be assigned different meanings. Submodalities can be described as the “fine tuning” of an internal representation of the five senses .For example: brightness , color, size , volume, pitch, speed , intensity, position in space. By the permanent change of submodalities, inner states change permanently.
In NLP, it is assumed that the consultant is more successful if he/she adapts to the client. If the client thinks in pictures the consultant will speak with the client in a visual language ( "I see your problem ..."). Is the client is emotionally oriented, the therapist will follow this pattern ("This feels reasonable to") or auditory ("That sounds good.") . How the client thinks can be observations through its formulations and derived words ("For the future I see a dark cloud"). One technique is to combine pleasant experiences with color and brightness, etc., and to reduce the intensity of unpleasant memories. Such change can be donevery quickly and efficiently.
The twelve most important assumptions in NLP practice
- Respect for the other person’s model of the world.
- Behavior and change are to be evaluated in terms of context, and ecology
- Resistance in a client is a sign of a lack of rapport. (There are no resistant clients, only inflexible communicators. Effective communicators accept and utilize all communications presented to them.)
- People are not their behaviors. (accept the person; change the behavior.)
- Everyone is doing the best they can with the resources they have available. (Behavior is geared for adaptation, and present behavior is the best choice available. Every behavior is motivated by a positive intent.)
- Calibrate on Behavior: The most important information about a person is that person’s behavior.
- The map is not the territory. (The words we use are NOT the event or the item they represent.)
- You are in charge of your mind, and therefore your results (and I am also in charge of my mind and therefore my results).
- People have all the resources they need to succeed and to achieve their desired outcomes. (There are no un-resourceful people, only un-resourceful states.)
- All procedures should increase wholeness
- There is ONLY feedback! (There is no failure, only feedback.)
- The meaning of communication is the response you get.
- The Law of Requisite Variety: (The system/person with the most flexibility of behavior will control the system.)
- All procedures should be designed to increase choice.
NLP therapy can be used as a support for a wide range of applications. If you are unsure whether an NLP therapy can be useful for you please contact me via email or call me .